Have you ever heard of the phrase, “you are never fully dressed without a smile”? Yes, it is totally true. However, most adults refrain from smiling and when they do so, they do it facing away. It is not because they are unhappy or sad, but because they are embarrassed by the condition of their teeth.
Having clean, white teeth improves your general outlook and appearance. It makes you want to flash off your beautiful smile to every person you meet, thereby giving you confidence to carry on with your daily endeavors.
Yellow teeth on the other hand, are unattractive and unhealthy. It is a hard condition to deal with as it drains your passion of contact with others and takes away all your confidence. But this doesn’t have to be the case anymore; by use of the right methods, you can easily correct the condition to discover that perfect, long gone smile once again.
What Causes Yellow Teeth?
Before addressing an issue, it thought wise to know what the root cause of the problem is. Here are a few of the major reasons that may have rendered your teeth yellow.
- Poor dental hygiene: failure of proper cleaning of teeth. To avoid plaque from building up, you should brush your teeth at least twice a day and also floss them at least once every day. Also consider professional tooth cleaning every once in a while.
- Smoking: yellow stains, build up from smoking. Smoking emits tar and nicotine, which accumulate building up the yellow matter. The two, however cannot be removed by simply brushing and therefore with time your teeth result of being yellow.
- Genetics: some people carry down the blessing of having white, glittering teeth from their lineage. This is due to possession of thick enamel. Others, however, are born with thin enamel which ends up displaying the yellow color of the dentin matter bellow the enamel, thus the yellow teeth appearance
- Aging: white teeth are often associated with the youth. The reason behind this is the fact that enamel thins down with time due to wear thereby exposing more of the inner underlying dentin color.
Yellow Teeth Remedy
Enamel plays the biggest role in tooth color and as it wears off, the yellow dentin color is exposed. The remedies highlighted below focus on whitening of teeth that have already lost some enamel and also the strengthening of the remaining enamel to prevent further damage.
Baking Soda and Lemon Juice Paste
Sodium bicarbonate, as it’s scientifically referred to, is a mild corrosive that gently scrubs stains away from the tooth surface resulting in whiter teeth. In addition to that it helps to balance the pH of the mouth due to its alkaline nature, therefore reducing acidity levels which could be the cause for enamel breakdown.
The Lemon juice on the other hand, is acidic and acts as a mild abrasive, scouring out the yellow staining matter due to its acidic nature. The two are best used together, so that the excess lemon juice is neutralized by the baking soda to prevent corrosion of the enamel.
- mix several spoons of baking soda with enough amount of lemon juice to form a paste.
- Dry your teeth of any saliva using a paper towel and apply the paste on the teeth.
- Allow the paste sometime then rinse it off with water.
Strawberry, Salt and Baking Soda Scrub
Strawberries are high in vitamin c, which aids extensively in plaque breakdown. It also has malic acid, enzyme which helps in the removal of surface stains.
Salt acts as an abrasive. It aids majorly the removal of the stains by physical scrubbing away the stain causing matter. The two are mixed together to form a paste. Baking soda may be added to the mixture to enhance results.
- Form a pulp by mashing up the strawberries.
- Add a pinch of sea salt and a teaspoon of the sodium bicarbonate.
- Wipe off extra saliva from your teeth using a paper towel and then apply a generous amount of the paste to your teeth using a toothbrush
- Leave the mixture to sit for about 5 minutes and then rinse it off using plenty of water. Repeat this every day. Night time is most preferred.
Basil herbs are generally good for the overall health of a person. They are a wonderful
remedy for yellow stained teeth. In addition to making your teeth whiter, basil protects you against dental disorders such as pyorrhea and bleeding gums.
Basil herb can be utilized in three ways; basil powder, basil-orange peel mask and basil-mustard oil paste
a/ Basil-orange peel mask :
Mash up fresh basil leaves to form a paste. Add a powder of orange peels and mix thoroughly to form a uniform paste. Apply the paste to your teeth and leave for about 20 minutes, then rinse it off with plenty of water.
b/Basil-mustard oil paste :
Crush fresh basil leaves to form a paste. Add enough amount of mustard oil to form a paste. Apply the resultant paste by use of a toothbrush and rinse off with plenty of water.
c/ Basil powder :
Alternatively, dry off the basil leaves under a shade. Once they are fully dry, grind them so that you end up with a fine powder. Add the powder to your regular toothpaste as you brush your teeth.
Bleach, Gels and Pastes
dental products are tailored to enhance tooth whitening. They come in various forms and may be in the form of; bleach liquid, gels and pastes. They are composed of bleaching agents which act as abrasive agents to scrub off the yellow staining matter.
Note: Carry out extensive research on a product before resorting to its use, unless it has been recommended by a dentist.
Professional teeth whitening may be carried out by a cosmetic dentist. This method is a little more costly unlike the other home remedies and may involve several treatments to be fully successful.
However, the results are wonderful and more permanent. It is a guaranteed method to restore your white sparkling teeth.
Everyone wants a beautiful sparkling, white smile. However, not everyone is blessed with one. Do not despair! Try out the above remedies to whiten your teeth.